After the wild success of our Youth Poetry Slam this past April, An Unlikely Story is proud to host our first ever Adult Poetry Slam. Participants ages 18 and up are welcome to compete. Because of the family friendly nature of our store, all material must be free of expletive language and graphic content. Deviations from these rules will result in elimination from the competition.
- All work must be original. Poets should bring two prepared pieces.
- Poems must be memorized. Some exceptions can be made for extenuating circumstances, please contact us prior to the event for approval.
- Poems must be under 3 minutes, with a 10 second grace period.
- Poems over 3 minutes will receive a .5 point deduction from their averaged score for every 10 seconds after the grace period.
How it Works:
- Five judges are selected at random from the audience.
- Judges will rate each poem performed on a scale of 1-10. Judges may use one decimal place, for example 7.4 is an acceptable score.
- Scores will be determined by dropping the lowest and highest score and averaging the remaining three scores.
- A “sacrificial” poet, who is not enrolled in the competition, will perform a piece first and receive a score from the judges. This provides the baseline that all other poems should be judged against.
- The five highest scoring poets will perform a second piece in a final round to compete for three prizes.